Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Ridiculous Pair of Burda Pants and Another McCalls 6649 Button Down

I have pretty much worn this outfit (or variations of it) every Friday for the last three weeks meaning to take pictures of it.  The first Friday was my first day off coffee, meaning the massive migraine prevented me from pictures.  The second Friday we were running late to a shindig so the pictures were skipped.  Yesterday, finally I had my dear husband take some pictures.  They are not the best, but they're taken.  The pants are Burda Style Bella 6011.  The button down is yet another McCalls 6649.
Now that I look at these pictures, I should have re-ironed the pants before the picture.  They are super wrinkled.  I'm not sure if I like them or not to be honest.  I like the idea of them, but during the making I was worried they would be too tight, so I sewed the side seams at 3/8ths of an inch, and they're a little big in the waist.  I also hate how low and small the front pockets are.  It drives me nuts all day long.  I think I could raise the pockets 3-4" and still get the full effect of pleating.  I will say, they are super comfy to wear. 
You can see the pleating on the pockets better in this picture.  The waistband is a series of panels, It creates a lot of shape.  Honestly, I think part of the problem is also the fabric.  It's a little thin, and not the best quality, but it was what I could find here in the color that worked with my current wardrobe plans.  You know what I am thinking-  I need to keep an eye out for better fabric and make a second version to fix my issues.  I know what you are all saying.  I should have made a muslin.  I'll just call these my muslin.  That works, right?
You can see the paneling a little better here.  The drags lines are from how I was standing.  Anyway, moving on to the shirt.  I don't have much to say about it, it's one of those I've made 5 times, so it's a breeze to sew.  The fabric is from my trip to Munich.  It's a super nice cotton lawn.  I have enough left for a simple top, which I'll probably make later this spring/summer.
So I started my jacket last weekend.  I got the lining and the facings done, but now I've been stuck on the cutting the plaid out for the outer jacket.  All I've cut are to the two side front panels.  In a week!  I just need to get off my butt and do it. The panels are in the foregraound, and the jacket lining is on the mannequin.  In the middle is some fabric I picked up today at a Made in Ukraine Expo.  I got it for the first section, which I hope is wide enough for a kimono sleeve top.  I'll have to figure out what to do with the other half, maybe it will make a good pleated skirt?  Anyway, that's all I have today.  Apologies for being super boring about it. It's been a rough-ish week, and I've depleted most of my energy stores.  Luckily, I don't have to be at work until Wednesday.  Hopefully that means there is some sewing time in there. Until next time happy sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment